A different presentation of this staple food. I don't make them like this very often. When I do, I usually mix in vegetables as well. See: stoemp.
Pic1: boiled potatoes, tossed
Pic2: mashing the potatoes
Pic3: smoother with milk and nutmeg
- Boil the potatoes a few minutes longer than usual.
They need to be very soft and make flour when tossed. (Pic1)
- Mash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher. '
- Add some milk to moisten the potatoes.
- Season to taste with S&P, nutmeg.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Some people like to stir an egg into mashed potatoes.
That binds the potatoes and colors them yellow.
Annato and turmeric are alternatives to get a yellow color.
Shepherd's pie is a layered casserole. The top layer is made with potatoes, usually mashed potatoes.
See: shepherd's pie.
Pic4: before cooking
Pic5: after cooking
Shepherd's pie with lettuce / spinach mix and mushrooms:
Pic22: meat &lettuce / spinach mix
Pic13: stewed mushrooms
Pic24: mashed potatoes and cheese on top
Pic25-27: I baked these @ 350 ºF for 60 minutes, then broiled for 10 more minutes to brown the crust.
Serve and enjoy
Pic28: three layers
Pic30: refrigerate or freeze leftovers
Pic31+32: three layers
c. pan-fried mashed potatoes
The purpose of pan-frying mashed potatoes is to create as much as possible of that delicious brown crust. Without that crust, they are just regular mashed potatoes.
To pan-fry mashed potatoes, make them as dry as possible beforehand. It helps to refrigerate them uncovered for a few days. The wetter the potatoes are, the longer it takes to get browning started.
- .Heat 1-2 tbsp. olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add mashed potatoes. Flatten the potatoes to get the biggest possible contact surface with the pan.
- Do not stir. Leave potatoes undisturbed until browning occurs.
- Flip the potato pancake on the other side. Again wait without stirring until browning occurs.
- Only after both sides are brown, stir to create a new surface to get more brown.
Pic4: and this