Nothing new or difficult here, other than that I usually use whole legs instead of thighs only. The cooking time for these smaller pieces is considerably less than for the big legs.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. (conventional) or 320 ºF. (convection)
- Spray the grill and chicken with olive oil.
- Season the chicken to taste. (Pic2)
I used taco seasoning for all four, added extra curry powder to my two pieces.
- Bake for 20 minutes. (Pic3)
- Serve and enjoy. (Pic4)
b. celery soup with carrots, bok choy
I prepared the stuffing with the vegetables from the soup. I could have just stewed the vegetables instead, but the stuffing needed some vegetable broth anyway and I had a craving for celery soup that morning.
The carrots make this soup sweeter than pure celery, and the bok adds a peppery flavor.
Adding one egg to the stuffing binds the bread somewhat better. It will be firm after refrigeration.
Adding 4 eggs or more would turn it into a quiche omelet that will already be solid almost immediately after cooking.
- If you don't like bread stuffing, use 2-3 cups mashed potatoes instead of bread to get stoemp instead of bread stuffing. The potatoes will not need nearly as much broth.
- Alternatively, use boiled rice for a vegetable rice side dish. Eggs are optional with rice.
Pic5: celery soup with carrots & bok choy
Pic6: bread stuffing with celery, carrots and bok choy
a. preparing the soup:
Pic7: sauté the onions
Pic8: add celery & carrots
Pic9: add 1 cup water
- Peel onions, slice in thin wedges.
- Peel carrots. Slice/dice carrots and celery.
- Wash bok choy and cut coarsely.
- Sauté the onions until transparent or beginning to brown.
- Add celery and stew until beginning to soften.
- Add 1 cup of water to avoid burning.
Pic10: add bok choy
Pic11: add water / stock
- Add bok choy.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- Bring to a roiling boil.
Pic14: all done
Pic15: reserve vegetables
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes.
Don't overcook the vegetables. They'll cook further in the oven.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove and reserve the majority of the vegetables to use in the stuffing. (Pic15)
- Serve and enjoy the soup. (Pic5)
c. bread stuffing with celery, carrots, bok choy
preparing the stuffing:
Pic16: soften/melt 1 stick butter
Pic17: diced dry bread
Pic18: add vegetables
- Soften or melt the butter. (Pic16)
- Slice, dry and dice bread OR use a store-bought package. (Pic17)
- Add the reserved soup vegetables. (Pic18)
Pic19: add butter, broth
Pic20: add egg
- Add the softened butter and 2 cups vegetable broth.
- Keep mixing in broth until the bread is moist but not soggy.
The bread should be able to absorb all the liquid without leaving puddles.
- Stir in the lightly beaten egg. (Pic20+21)
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs and/or cheese on top for a nice au gratin crust.
Pic22: ready for baking
- Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and bake 15-20 minutes uncovered.
I added the chicken in the oven when I removed the lid, so they would be ready at the same time.
- Serve and enjoy. (Pic6)
- Refrigeration will firm up the stuffing like a quiche. (Pic24)