mushroom béchamel sauce
Enchilada sauce can be whatever you want it to be.
Many people here in New Mexico use Campbell's cream of mushroom soup instead of starting from scratch with mushrooms.
I started with a mushroom béchamel sauce without chile for the 1st version with layered corn tortillas.
a. béchamel sauce
Adding béchamel sauce increases the amount of sauce and moderates the mushroom flavor.
- 2-6 tbsp. olive oil
- 2-6 tbsp. flour or corn starch
- 2-6 cups milk, warm
Pic1: heat oil
Pic2: fry flour
Pic3: add milk
- Fry flour in the same amount of olive oil while stirring constantly until it gives off a cookie smell.
Do not let the sauce change color.
- Add 1 cup warm milk.
Pic4: let thicken
Pic5: more milk
Pic6: simmer 15-20 minutes
- The mixture will thicken very quickly.
- Gradually add more milk and whisk into a smooth sauce.
I switched to a pot with higher sides at this time. I started in the frying pan that I used for the mushrooms, but that one is not big enough for the final volume.
- Simmer 15 minutes over low heat while stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Season to taste. (S&P, nutmeg)
b. creamed mushroom sauce
- 2 lbs. white button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
Pic7: clean the mushrooms
Pic8: slice the mushrooms
Pic9: stir-fry the 1st batch
- Clean, slice and stir-fry the 1st batch of mushrooms for some extra color.
Pic11: add more
- Add the rest of the mushrooms
Pic14: add cream
- Blend the mushrooms into a smooth paste.
- Optional: Add heavy cream to brighten the color.
- The creamed mushroom sauce can be used 'as is' without béchamel, but the mushroom flavor might be too strong and mask the chicken flavor too much.
c. mushroom béchamel sauce
Pic16: add creamed mushrooms
Pic17: optional Campbell's cream of mushroom soup for larger volume
Pic18: all mixed
- Stir the creamed mushrooms into the béchamel sauce.
- Add a large can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup for a larger volume.
It's cheaper than adding more mushrooms and it brightens the color even more.
- Simmer 10 more minutes while stirring frequently.