Preheat the oven to 400 ºF.
Drain the escargots. Rinse several times.
Soak the escargots in lime juice for at least 2 hrs.
This helps to get rid of the unpleasant smell and taste that seems to come with canned escargots.
Use a food processor to thoroughly mix the butter, garlic and parsley into a smooth paste.
If using shells:
- Place a bit of the garlic butter mix in a shell.
- Push a snail in the shell .
- Top off with the garlic butter.
- Arrange the shells on an escargot plate or oven-proof dish.
- Place the snails in a shallow dish.
- Generously spread the butter mix on and around them.
Bake the escargots at 350 ºF until the butter is bubbling. (10-15 minutes)
Serve immediately with toasted French bread. (Pic2)
Pic3: live escargots
Pic4: cooked escargot
Pic5: parsley butter
Pic6: with shells
Pic7: without shells
Pic8: in bread shells
C. mushrooms à la Bourguignonne
Imagine for a moment that those little bread shells in Pic8 are mushrooms. Yes, you have the right idea. Parsleyed garlic butter can also be used with mushrooms.
Pic9: before cooking
Pic10: after cooking (left to right: parsleyed garlic butter; same with grated cheese, Boursin cheese only)
d. mushrooms and escargots à la Bourguignonne
And now, we combine both by putting the escargots inside the mushrooms instead of shells.
This is a combination of 4 recipes: baked mushrooms, baked escargots / mushrooms parleyed garlic butter and mushroom velouté. It is a delicious combination that made Marielos forget her prejudice against snails. :-)
With a full dozen of escargots and the 2 sauces, this is more a meal than an appetizer.
Overall preparation time about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs.. The recipe is rather long, but a lot of that can overlap in time. If you prepare the 2 sauces while the escargots are soaking, it would be even less.
Bake with green butter sauce and serve (Pic12)
OR continue on to a casserole with mushroom cream sauce and cheese on top. (Pic13)
Pic12: mushrooms & escargots à la Bourguignonne
Pic13: casserole of the same
This is what you need for 2-4 servings:
1 lb. large white button mushrooms
1 dz. escargots, canned
1 stick butter
2 garlic cloves
Use the 6 largest mushrooms for the escargots, the stems and the remainder for the sauce.
Pic14: mushrooms, no stem
Pic15: XL escargots
Pic16: soak the snails in lime juice
step 1: prepare the escargots:
- Open the jar. Rinse several times.
- Juice 2 limes.
Add escargots and add enough water to cover the escargots.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hr.
This removes the unpleasant smell all canned escargots seem to have.
Pic17: escargots in mushrooms
Pic18: add parsleyed garlic butter
Pic19: baked @ 350 ºF. for 30 minutes
step 2: prepare parsleyed garlic butter sauce (beurre a la bourguignonne)
- Microwave butter briefly or leave outside fridge until it begins to soften to knead.
- Cut / mince garlic cloves. Mince 2-3 tbsp. parsley.
- Combine all in food processor. Run until smooth mixture.
- Set aside and refrigerate until needed.
step 3: prepare the mushrooms:
- Purchase nicely white button mushrooms that are large enough to hold an escargot.
- Clean the mushrooms by rubbing off any dirt. Do not wash. They’ll soak up too much water.
- Remove the stem and optional the inside edge of the cap to form a larger cup.
- Reserve the 6 largest mushrooms. Arrange them in an oven-proof dish that is at least twice as high as the mushrooms.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- Mince the remaining mushrooms as well as the stems and pieces of cap you removed.
Set aside for the sauce.
step 4: stuff and bake mushrooms a la Bourguignonne.
- Separate the foot and body of the escargots.
- Stick 2 escargot feet in each mushroom.
Mince the escargot bodies and sprinkle that around the mushrooms in the dish.
- Use 2 teaspoons to cover the mushrooms with parsleyed garlic butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes @ 350 ºF.
- Remove from the oven.
- Serve and enjoy.
e. mushrooms and escargots casserole
Pic20: stir-fry mushrooms stems and leftover mushrooms
Pic21: mushroom cream sauce
Pic22: pour sauce over the baked mushrooms and escargots
step 5: Prepare the mushroom cream sauce.
Believe you me: this is SO MUCH better than canned cream of mushroom soup.
- Stir-fry the minced mushroom stems until dark brown.
Make a white or blond roux.
- Add 1 cup warm milk to make béchamel sauce.
- Add the stir-fried mushrooms.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes over low heat.
- Optional: Blend the mushrooms into the béchamel sauce for a smooth sauce. (I didn’t do that.)
- Remove from heat and stir up to 1 cup of heavy cream into the sauce. This will whiten the sauce.
- Simmer over low heat to thicken the sauce further. Do not boil after adding the cream.
Pic23: add breadcrumbs, cheese
Pic24: bake again
Step 6: bake the mushrooms again.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over and around the mushrooms.
- Optional: add extra cheese. (here: Mexican 4-cheese mix)
- Bake 15-20 minutes @ 350 ºF.
- Remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately and enjoy.