A. Onion soup with Spinach
Pic1+2: onion soup with spinach
This is what you need for 2 servings:
- 1 qt. onion soup
- 1-2 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped small
Use the basic recipe of onion soup and add some chopped or blended spinach.
- Find your personal Goldilocks amount where you add just enough spinach that its flavor is strong enough that it clearly isn't plain onion soup anymore, but without having it completely dominate the onion flavor.
B. Onion soup with a Twist
I love onion soup almost more than anything else, but one can still only eat so much of it before some variation would be welcomed. These are some of my favorite variations.
Pic3+4: Onion soup with chipotle, parsley, curry
First make the basic onion soup as usual.
Variation can make it more interesting.
Add these separately, or in any combination that you like.
- Chipotle powder or other hot peppers to give it a bit of a bite.
- Shredded parsley or cilantro.
- Curry powder.
- Other vegetables or fruit
- Your other favorite spices
- Sliced sausage
- Cream …
Each of these additions shifts the flavor away from onion-only.
However be careful. Some of the stronger spices can quickly overpower.
Add them a little bit at a time and taste frequently.