Pic2: frozen hominy (nixtamal)
Pic3: the soup is ready
Pic4: and served with a little broth
- Add the (frozen) tripe to 6 qts of water in a large stock pot.
Optionally add the pig’s feet now if you like them really soft, almost falling apart.
- Bring to a quick boil, reduce heat and simmer for 60 min.
- Add the frozen hominy.
Optionally add the pig’s feet here instead if you prefer them firmer.
- Bring to a quick boil again, and then simmer for 90 min.
- Add the dried vegetable mix and parsley.
Optionally, use fresh vegetables.
- Simmer another 30 min. (total 3 hrs)
- Serve to your preference with a lot of broth (Pic4) or with less (Pic1).
2020-03-15 — Day 1:
Pic5: tripe, Knorr 'vegetable recipe mix'
Pic6: 1 hour later, add hominy and pig's feet
Pic7: 2 hours later again
Pic8: after 4 hrs. for tripe, 3 hrs. for hominy and pig's feet
Pic9: served as soup
Pic10: served as meal without broth
2020-03-16 — Day 2:
Pic11: pig's feet are much softer on day 2 after another 1-2 hrs. simmering
Pic12: cup of soup
Pic13: heavy cream makes it smoother
Another day, more of the same: 2020-08-30
Pic15: menudo broth without hominy
Pic16: add hominy
- Combine pig's & ox feet, tripe, seasoning. Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 60 minutes.
- I served a bowl of the broth before I added hominy. That is quite delicious already.
- Add hominy. Simmer another 3 hrs. or until the hominy is soft and fully cooked.
Pic17-19: all done
- Marielos and I like the pig's feet when soft,, but not yet falling apart.
By then, the broth will contain enough gelatin to gel solid when refrigerated.
- Serve and enjoy.
b. White Menudo with carrots
Same recipe as above, with carrots added. As expected, the carrots turn the soup orange.
Pic14: another day, another batch
Pic15: served with little broth
Pic16: served with a lot of broth
Same recipe as above. Add pureed red chile to taste towards the end.
Pic17: menudo will gel when refrigerated
Pic18+19: reheat and white menudo ... becomes red menudo
d. canned menudo
Since Fall 2019 menudo is also available canned as a new product in the local grocery stores. It is amazingly good for a commercial product. Marielos doesn't normally like red menudo, but even she enjoyed this one.
It comes in several variations, mild to extra hot, without hominy ...
Pic20+21: canned red menudo