Geert's Ave Maria pages: news updates.
|May 28, 2013
- There were apparently some problems on the server that caused problems
accessing the website during the past week or so.
Those have been resolved (for) now.
- But I have been warned that FrontPage and FrontPage extensions are
outdated technology that poses a security risk; and that the server will
not support the FrontPage extensions much longer.
- I will attempt to make the switch to a more standard-compliant web
publisher. (probably Microsoft Expression Web 4)
- The first step in that long road will probably be to make my website
function without the FrontPage extensions, but still in FrontPage.
- After that, I expect that it will take a while before I learn to do
what I want to do with these pages in a newer web publishing program.
But hopefully newer will be better as well.
- January 26, 2013
- Nothing too much new has happened in 2012.
- I have added more pages and transcribed further scores.
- The work continues...
- November 09, 2011
I added another counter (geovisite) with real-time daily
The existing pages in AveWiki are slowly being updated
to start with the composer's last name.
I am also including categories for voicing and instrumentation.
I am a long way from catching up on the existing pages. It will be even
longer before I can add any new pages.
- October 30, 2011
- 1672 MIDI files today.
There have been significant outage times during the past few months
because FrontPage could no longer handle the size of my website. I have
made about 35 subwebs and that works a lot better for the updating.
Downside is that the index pages of each subweb can show only the pages
in that same subweb, so the one-page listing with all the composer names
is no longer available.
- flag counter is approaching 200,000 page views (196,702 today),
despite some significant outage time during the Summer months. The
shinystat counter has been there several months longer and is already
These numbers indicate a gradual increase in traffic to about 150
visitors with 300 to 500 page views a day.
- May 02, 2011
- One year with the flag counter, just shy of 120,000 page views.
= average of 10,000 page views each month = double the traffic of just a
- February 5, 2011:
- 4239 Ave Maria listings, 3002 pages, 1179 MIDI files in this
- AveWiki is on hold indefinitely.
I have not been able to continue the composer listing for several months
- December 2, 2010
- 1110 midis = + 110 during this one month, yet it has been a month
that I have not been able to much for the website.
- November 28, 2010
- > 90,000 page views on ShinyStat counter since November 22, 2009
- > 61,500 page views on the flag counter since April 29, 2010.
- = ca. 30,000 views in the first 5 months, ca. 60,000 views over the
next 7 months.
- November 2, 2010
- October 21, 2010
- The updating of the website and AveWiki is going very slowly.
- We breached 50,000 page views at one week less than 6 months with
the flag counter.
- Thinking of adding annunciation art to the website.
While strolling, I found a
that does exactly that.
- June 29, 2010
- Another month gone by, another 10,000 page views.
- June 20, 2010:
- All the individual page counters have been removed from the website.
They worked on FrontPage extensions, and the server is having problems
with them, causing the page counters to be reset to zero every time I
updated the page.
- On June 8, 2010 there were 3,551 Ave Maria listings and today there
are 2,250 pages in the website.
- The input of composers in AveWiki is progressing rather slowly.
- May 29, 2010:
- 705 MIDI files
- 40,066 page views since November 22, 2009
- 10,709 page views in the one month since April 29, 2010 by 3452
unique visitors from 101 countries.
- May 1, 2010:
- Today Geert's Ave Maria pages reached 30,000 page
views since Nov. 22, 2009 when the ShinyStat counter was installed = an
average of over 5,000 page views per month over these 6 months.
- I also installed a 'flag counter' and it is interesting to see what
countries the website visitors are from.
28,458 counter difference.
- April 21, 2010:
- I have installed a Wiki! It's still completely empty, but at least
it's there. :-)
- There has been a problem with the server's FrontPage extensions. As
a result, all page counters were reset to zero on April 10.
- The ShinyStat counter at the bottom of the page was not affected.
There have been over 27,000 page views since November 2009, with on
average about 100 visitors/day.
- I have started adding a video icon to the status icons on the left
of the listing pages, instead of only MP3.
- December 18, 2009:
- There are now 1500 pages in this website, compared to 265 before the
move to the new server and the avemariasongs domain name.
- This website has expanded from less than 50 MB (= the limit on the
previous zianet server) to almost 400 MB.
- This expansion is entirely in the Ave Maria pages.
- With the use of MP3 samples and videos, the number of documented
songs has more than doubled.
- November 2, 2009: I started a major overhaul of the website.
- The biggest change so far: the listing is no longer separated in
pre- and post 1923.
- That division was useful in the context of USA copyright laws, but
has no purpose in the rest of the world.
- This change should make a search for a composer name more
- The merger did reveal several duplicate listings.
- On the other hand, the single listing page is getting so big that
FrontPage takes forever loading it.
- Some of the composer pages now include videos, mostly from YouTube.
A high-speed connection is recommended to view those.
- I am making individual pages for all the songs that I have some
documentation for, i.e. either score, MIDI or recording. To access these
pages, click the link in the composer name.
- There are now 4 icon columns on the left side of the listing instead
The purpose of these will no longer be to link to files, but to indicate
what the archival status is for each song.
||1. I have the musical score for this
song / 2. I have notated the score in NWC /
3. I have a MIDI of this song / 4. I have a performance recording
(audio or video) of this song.
||1. I do NOT have a score for this song/
2. I have not completed the NWC file /
3. I do not have a MIDI / 4. I have no performance recording for
This new system will show visitors what I am lacking for each listed
song. Hopefully someone will send me the missing documentation.
- October 31, 2009: Today should be the last day of the old
zianet website. With the switch to a high-speed connection, I now have
access to YouTube where quite a few Ave Marias are posted. I have started
making new pages for some of those composers, embedding the YouTube
videos. This will provide voice performances of some of the songs instead
of just MIDI.
- August 15, 2009 This website was moved to a different
server and finally got its very own domain name avemariasongs.org. This
was made possible by the gracious assistance of Debra Potts. Thank you,
- May 24, 2009: This website now has 500 MIDI files for
different settings of the Ave Maria.
- April 16, 2009: Today I finished writing out the MIDI
file for Ave Maria # 400!
Franz Liszt S20 No1, one of the larger ones too. I think I still have
enough scores to get to 500.
- January 1, 2008: A search of Werner Icking Music
Archives during a sleepless night added a few files, including
Gumpelzheimer's Ave Maria canon.
- September 2006: It has been over a year, but finally I
found some some time continue this project.
Completed all my available scores up to letter L. Many of the pages in
this website also received a new look.
On Sept 16, I reached the 300 mark for the number of Ave Maria MIDI files
on this site.
- August 2005: finished writing out all my currently
available scores up to letter G.
playing: 1896 ed. "Ave Maria" by Edward
Page last modified:
June 07, 2013
Return to my homepage: